CPU usage

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Sun Dec 16 18:44:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 16:56 +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Dec 14, 2007 4:27 PM, Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net> wrote:
> > I have upgraded to Gutsy and still have the problem. Some things I might
> > suspect are my Matrox G550 dual monitor video card or maybe some KDE
> > apps that I run like kalarm and karm. These are the only things I can
> > think of that my laptop does not have, which works great with no
> > crashes. My question is how to proceed in troubleshooting this issue?
>
> Start up and htop (or top) command running in one of the alternative
> consoles and switched to it when you get the next freeze. See what's
> sucking up CPU time.

I have only been able to switch consoles without locking up once and
that showed X at the top with about 16% CPU and 5% memory. What I do
notice is my memory is almost always completely used. Like now with Evo,
Firefox and a terminal open, mem usage is 362/503MB (71% programs/25%
cache). Firefox is at top of the list with 2-5% CPU and ~11% memory, but
all is well right now. This morning I had the same running with Amarok
and tried to open a PDF and it locked at 100% CPU. You think I might
have bad memory?

--
Robert