cannot run a live install DVD of Kubuntu

Stephen Constantinou stephanos at writeme.com
Sat Dec 15 23:33:41 UTC 2007

Dear All

I decided to try the Kubuntu flavour and downloaded the iso:
kubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.iso.  I made a bootable DVD and inserted it into
the drive then rebooted.  I was presented with a menu and choose the
first option: "Start or install Kubuntu".  Next was the loading linux
kernel progress bar.  After a few minutes all came to rest with a
prompt: "ubuntu at ubuntu:~$_".  It was not obvious what I do to get into a
gui/KDE.  Startx did nothing I tried to boot a few more times and
sometimes the prompt was: "(initramfs)_".

Not only was I not able to run the DVD as a live install to try out
Kubuntu but I was not able to install Kubuntu either.

I decided to purchase the 32 and 64 bit Kubuntu DVD's and did so, hoping
that I had made an error with turning the ISO into a bootable disc.
Alas alack, the same thing occurred with the 32 bit pre made DVD.

The DVD drive does boot as I have installed Mandriva via DVD after this
failed attempt.  I know that making a boot disc from an ISO is not about
copying the ISO file to the burn medium.  It is a specific choice within
the burning programme.

Any help appreciated

Stephen, Swansea, Wales, UK