CD-RW changes all to root

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 15 20:22:33 UTC 2007

On 12/14/2007 09:20 PM, Michael R. Head wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 13:06 -0800, NoOp wrote:
>> Been awhile since I burned files to a CD-RW, but today I tried Nautilus
>> CD Burner, GnomeBaker & K3b and while the files write to the CD just
>> fine, all permissions on the CD get changed to root. CD, folders,
>> files... everything to root. Any ideas on why this might be happening?
>
> I don't believe the iso9660 spec has any support for ownership or
> permissions, and they certainly don't match up with unix accounts.
>
> There is the "Rock Ridge" extension[1], but I don't think that's in use
> by default, since it could make the disc less compatible with other OSs.
>
> You might look to Xcdroast or another more complete burning utility if
> you really want to put ownership info onto the disc.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Ridge

Thanks for the info. Installed xcdroast, but when I try to configure it
by running from the command line (gksu xcdroast) it cranks up the CPU to
94% and according to htop hangs with wodim trying to do a drive check
(wodim dev=2,0,0 -v -checkdrive). The only way to kill it is to do a
'kill PID#'. Perhaps it doesn't like my drives.