Samba Shares

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Dec 14 14:41:40 UTC 2007

semaj3000 wrote:

> Can you guys help get my Ubuntu pc see my windows shares? And also getting
> my windows computer to be able to connect to a Ubuntu share(and or browse
> for shares shared on the Ubuntu pc)?

You don't seem to be aware that these are two different problems.

1) afaik, Samba won't connect to a Windows PC if you don't give the Windows
user a password (ie, blank passwords don't work).  Using a url of
smb://win-user:win-password@windows-machine/ should work.  How to set that
on a default basis, I leave as an exercise for you (ie, I don't know how to
do it on a Gnome system).

2) Samba maintains its own password database.  man smbpasswd to see what you
need to do to allow connections from the Windows PC to the Linux PC.
--
derek