External hard drive for backup.

elmo elmo at ne.rr.com
Fri Dec 14 00:21:59 UTC 2007

elmo wrote:
> Has anyone used an external hard drive to save a backup copy of an
> installed ubuntu?
> Is there a partition copier in ubuntu that will copy an entire installed
> ubuntu partition
> to an external hard drive.so that it may be recopied back to the same
> computer or another computer ?
>
> Suggestions welcome.
> elmo

After posting the question, I wondered if the partition copier I tested
in Windows was available in a linux version and sure enough there is one,
 a gz version.:
               http://www.roadkil.net/unstopcp.html

So far, I haven't found one in an apt search.

I don't believe that a partition editor alone can do a good job of
copying a partition to another partition.  A partition editor would be
useful for formatting  an ext3  partition
on an external hard drive in preparation for 'unstopcp' to do the job of
copying an entire ubuntu installation.

There may be other copiers that can do an indepth total copy.

It's just that I was wondering if anyone has actually done a complete
ubuntu copy to an external harddrive.  This would be useful if one wanted to
install to several computers.

elmo