new HP Laptop: frequency scaling not supported on C2D T7500 -> High CPU Temps

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Wed Dec 12 23:46:54 UTC 2007

ice` wrote:
>> CPU scaling won't stop your PC from getting hot when you run it at 100%
>> CPU for an extended time.  CPU scaling is about saving power so your
>> laptop batteries run longer.
>
> Well, that's a bit opinable, since if I put as max cpu-freq 1.0GHz instead of 2.2GHz with less vcore, my cpu will for sure run a lot warmer...

is that a bios setting or from some windows software to control the cpu?
  do you have this control under linux?  i've only got two machines
which support this feature.  a laptop which throttles from 1.8ghz to 1.2
and a desktop which throttles from 3.2ghz to 2.8.  i'd love to have more
control over when they throttle back (under windows i have the fancy IBM
software for the laptop to manipulate that), can you point me at any
resources?  both of mine are intel chips if that helps.

as far as i've seen, under ubuntu 7.10 whenever i put those cpus under
load they max themselves out again.  and all i had to do to get it
working was the procedure i described in my original email.

have you checked your bios settings?

 > that won't work since I've already trying starting powernowd manually
in terminal but it exits with an error since under
 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ there's no trace of available
scaling options..

oh.  it exits with an error.  what error would that be?  that sounds
like helpful information.  the sort of thing someone troubleshooting the
problem might like to know.

thanks!

-d