new HP Laptop: frequency scaling not supported on C2D T7500 -> High CPU Temps

David Vincent dvincent at sleepdeprived.ca
Wed Dec 12 17:08:34 UTC 2007

ice` wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just bought an HP Pavillon DV26xx (DV2500 series).
> My ubuntu 7.10 64bit is working perfectly apart from CPU Frequency scaling.

> I'm already using latest BIOS for my laptop (F.21...there was a F.13
> standard when I bought it but I didn't pay attention if speedstep was
> working on it.)
>
> This problem is quite annoying since when CPU runs at 100% for long time
> I get temps about 70-80°C and the laptop gets quite hot.

CPU scaling won't stop your PC from getting hot when you run it at 100%
CPU for an extended time.  CPU scaling is about saving power so your
laptop batteries run longer.

That said, go into the System menu then under Administration and open
Services.  Check that the "CPU Frequency Manager (powernowd)" daemon is
checked - it should run at startup.

Then right-click one of your panels and choose "Add to panel...".  Add
the "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor" applet to your panel and reboot.
When your system is idle that new applet should show you some
representation of your throttled-back CPU.

On my P4-3.2 all I needed to do was enable scaling in the BIOS and then
check off the powernowd service.  It started working right away.

-d