firefox, flash, alsa problem

Bram Kuijper a.l.w.kuijper at rug.nl
Wed Dec 12 13:05:16 UTC 2007

Hi all,

whenever I play a flash movie within firefox, I get a number of
commandline errors (see end of message). It will however play the
current flash movie fine, with sound and everything. But if I afterwards
want another program to use the soundcard, it always yields error
messages such as "sound device busy" and I have to kill off all
alsa-related processes by hand.

Apparently, something is wrong with either the configuration of my sound
card or flash. Anyone an idea how to solve this problem?

thanks for any info,
Bram

commandline errors:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:769:(parse_card) cannot find card '??Y      o'
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3982:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default

My sound card is an intel 82801H (ICH8) STAC92xx audio device. My lspci
output can be found here: http://pastebin.com/m78f605b6

The shockwave flash library version which is given in firefox
"about:plugins" is:
File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48

I am working on Ubunty Gutsy.