How to tell what's using sound?

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Wed Dec 12 05:20:36 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 23:18 -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I found the audio problem I am having is not with audacity, but is
> gutsy-wide.
>
> Next to running ps auwx, what other ways can I tell what is using the
> sound driver?   If I can figure at least that, I can try to disable/remove
> it.

lsof is a program that will LiSt Open Files. It will tell you which
programs and PIDs have which files/paths open. Since everything is
pretty much a file, any program using the sound device (for playback,
recording or mixing) will be listed by lsof. Just grep for /dev/snd:

sudo lsof | grep /dev/snd

Using sudo will allow you to see more info.

Another option is to use System/Administration/System Monitor. It can
also list which processes have which files opens. Just launch the system
monitor and go to Monitor/Search for Open Files.

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding