Wirelsss Network Not Connecting

debian debiani386 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 02:27:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 15:31 -0500, Schiz0 wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a Gateway laptop. The wlan0 IS
> displayed in ifconfig - so it was detected. The wireless network I'm
> trying to connect to is also detected, but it seems that I cannot
> connect to it. The details are as follows:
>
> DLink Router
> SSID _IS_ broadcasting (AKA, it's not a hidden network)
> Using WPA-Personal (Not WPA2)
> DHCP enabled
>
> The problem is, Ubuntu seems to connect, but it is using the wrong
> information. For example, the DHCP range in my router config is set to
> 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0.
> However, when Ubuntu tries to connect automatically, ifconfig shows
> that the IP is outside of that range, and the netmask is different. It
> is also using the wrong gateway IP. In Ubuntu, I set it up to use a
> Dynamic IP using DHCP. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've never
> set up a linux on a wireless laptop before.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> ~Schiz0

i know i have this problem to (if you are using the program that comes
with gnome). Using KDE's Wlassistant seems to work (which is kde's
wireless connection utility).

my problem is is its not sending the correct range and its also loosing
my WEP (its not even sending it to the router), so i just gave up, and
installed wlassistant and it worked beautifully

--cj