Cautious possible new member/user

Tom Bamford tom at entrepreneuria.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 02:43:06 UTC 2007

Stephen Constantinou wrote:
> 8) Every version of Mandrake/Mandriva I have ever had displys an error
> message during boot that slamer (or something similar) could not be
> found/loaded.  This I think relates to the soft modem.  Does Ubunto
> support soft modems?  Please say yes!
>
> 9) Will my PCMCIA external CDROM be supported?

As you will know soft-modems are notoriously crap, however on my IBM
laptop Ubuntu 7.10 detected and loaded the appropriate driver/firmware
for the built in Intel soft modem. It maps /dev/modem to the correct
device and I've used it successfully, though not for long so I don't
know how stable or reliable it is.

I have a Freecom Traveller 2 which works over USB but not over PCMCIA.
I've also got a 16-bit PCMCIA IDE controller which doesn't work in
Ubuntu. Hopefully you'll have better luck.

Regards,
Tom