Cautious possible new member/user

Darren Mansell darren at vcoc.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 22:43:58 UTC 2007

KDE is only in the Kubuntu ISO but Ubuntu has metapackages that install
a group of packages so to install KDE alongside Gnome after install you
simply install 'kubuntu-desktop' from Synaptic or using 'sudo apt-get
install kubuntu-desktop'. It will ask if you want kdm or gdm to be the
default display manager, pick kdm if you will be using KDE more than
Gnome and vice-versa.

If you won't be using Gnome at all its worth just installing Kubuntu
rather than installing Ubuntu and then putting Kubuntu packages on
afterwards.

BTW, welcome and good luck. I started with Mandrake years ago. I moved
to Ubuntu around Mandriva 2006 and I haven't looked back.