newbie: help needed with playing dvd's

Caleb Marcus caleb.marcus at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 16:39:47 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 08:36 +0000, Robert Ashworth wrote:

> I have just (fortnight ago) converted from microsoft to ubuntu and
> therefore don't really know what I'm up to yet but, I have a problem
> that i need to sort out pertaining to dvd playing.
>
> I have followed the instructions about playing dvd's by installing
> gxine, libdvdnav4,etc and typing commands into the terminal etc but when
> I try to play anything gxine engine fails to start and I get these
> messages in the log output:-
>
> 08:25:41 AM: xine: found demuxer plugin: image demux plugin
> 08:25:41 AM: xine: found input plugin  : file input plugin
> 08:25:40 AM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:/]
> 08:25:40 AM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:/]
> 08:25:40 AM: xine: found input plugin  : DVD Navigator
>
> Please tell me what I have done wrong I need to learn
>
> Bob

You need to install libdvdcss2, which isn't in the repositories (some
people will tell you it is, but that's because they've added 3rd-party
repos without knowing it.) To install it, type the command <
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh > which will install the
software necessary to read encrypted DVDs.