Problem with pound signs (=?iso-8859-1?q?=A3?=) in terminal window

bill purvis bil at beeb.net
Sun Dec 9 15:15:16 UTC 2007

On Friday 07 December 2007, Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 10:38 +0000, bill purvis wrote:
> > I changed to Ubuntu a few weeks ago and have only just
> > noticed a small problem: when I type a pound sign (£)
> > in the terminal window it acts a bit like ^C, cancelling
> > the input line and displaying a '#' character.
>
> Sounds like your terminal control characters are set wrong.  Do an:
>
> stty -a
>
> and see what the intr (interrupt) character is.
>
> --
> Smoot Carl-Mitchell
> System/Network Architect
> email: smoot at tic.com
> cell: +1 602 421 9005
> home: +1 480 922 7313
No, I finally tracked it down to the readline config file.
If I do
  cat >/dev/null
and type in pound signs, they get input OK.

The Ubuntu distro file (/etc/inputrc) has a commented out
line:
# set meta-convert off
Which implies that meta-convert is on. Uncommenting this
line removes the problem, at least as far as terminal input
is concerned. I'm still having a problem with inputting
the character from a file, though. I suspect that I need
to do a bit more experimenting.....

Bill
| Bill Purvis, Amateur Mathematician    |
|  email: bil at beeb.net                  |
|  http://bil.members.beeb.net          |