12-7-07 gutsy update broke

John Dangler jdangler at terremark.com
Sat Dec 8 04:02:12 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com on behalf of NoOp
Sent: Fri 12/7/2007 9:53 PM
To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: 12-7-07 gutsy update broke

On 12/07/2007 06:50 AM, John Dangler wrote:
> Got an update-notify this morning for libkpathsea4 (TeX search library
> path).
>
> On selecting the update, got this immediately -
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
> correct the problem.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
>
> Selecting 'Ok' here restarts the update manager.
>
> Jack

I suspect that you have more serious problems with your system than the
TeX update given your recent posts regarding Evo et al.  Were I you I'd
spend some time this weekend going through your /usr/log files to see if
you can find the problem(s).

/usr/log doesn't exist.
/var/log/mail* are all empty
syslogs don't show anything to indicate an error.
dmesg has no interesting clues at all.

Jack