Integrated mail

John Dangler jdangler at terremark.com
Sat Dec 8 03:57:35 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com on behalf of Tom Bamford
Sent: Fri 12/7/2007 9:55 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions
Subject: Re: Integrated mail

John Dangler wrote:

	Apparently evo has just too many issues with ubu to be a viable business product - after a little research I found seamonkey.  Anyone tried this ? I need to connect to exchange and AD at work, as well as other email and news, some irc channels, and the calendar both personal and at work. Is seamonkey stable and robust enough to handle these features ?
	Jack - BB

Hi,

Out of interest, what issues have you had with Evo? I ask because I'm trying to choose an email/contact/calendar client for a medium-sized office and Evo is my running favourite. I had been hoping for good LDAP support but that seems like too much to ask at present.

Regards,
Tom

Tom~
Where to begin. Evo crashes every third or fourth email I send. It does send the message when it borks, but then re-sends those same messages every time it starts again - which is somewhat embarrassing when clients call and ask why I've sent the same email twice (especially when it happens multiple times throughout the day). I cannot connect to a global address list (which authenticates to an active directory server). Calendar emails are sent to me as attachments (.dat), but I cannot "accept" the calendar event. If I reply to an event, it doesn't add the event to the calendar.
"Cannot connect to backend Exchange Server" error message I get quite often. When I look at the strace info from the odd evo event where it just dies, the last message on strace is "Process killed - Core Dumped".  I've sent off a couple of these to evolution, with no replies. "Cannot sync" - a minor annoyance, but one that requires files being deleted and rebuilt - About every other update of evolution I get this with irritating regularity.
There are others, which are also minor, but convincing my company to adopt software with this behavior isn't going to happen. At least not at this stage.

Jack