Desktop slow load from GDM

Frank McCormick fmccormick at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 8 03:10:22 UTC 2007

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 13:38:16 +1100
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 20:33:17 -0500
> Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> > I have already tried renaming the hidden directories gnome, gnome2
> > and gnome2_private...gnome created new ones but that didn't solve
> > anything
> >
> > Can anyone explain what are the local files the gnome desktop uses?
>
> Have you tried renaming/moving ~/.gconf ?
>
> I suspect the problem is somewhere in there - if you find that fixes
> the slow start, you can gradually put the pieces back until it
> breaks, to find where the actual culprit lives ;-)

  Well this is a strange one - update tonight delivered new modules for
the kernel.......and guess what. Everything is back to normal!!!!
I would expect this on my other partition where I'm running Debian
Sid/Lenny but not from Ubuntu Gutsy !

But anyway if I have problems again...I'll try your suggestion...I have
tried everything else!

Thanks and I stick to my opinion...judging by what I see here , and in
the Ubuntu forums Gutsy is the
buggiest Ubuntu ever. Makes me sorry I dumped Dapper for it.
--
Cheers
Frank  <fmccormick at videotron.ca>