Desktop slow load from GDM

Frank McCormick fmccormick at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 8 01:33:17 UTC 2007

Running Gutsy.
Since my original post here I have discovered a few things. Although
the Gnome desktop takes up to 3 minutes to load from GDM for me, it
loads quickly for the other user on this system. If I log on as the
other user and do a user switch, it's back to slow load again.
I can get it to load quickly by choosing failsafe from the GDM logon.

I have reinstalled GDM, gnome-panel and a few other Gnome things such
as the control centre but nothing so far has improved matters.

I have already tried renaming the hidden directories gnome, gnome2 and
gnome2_private...gnome created new ones but that didn't solve anything

Can anyone explain what are the local files the gnome desktop uses?

--
Frank McCormick <fmccormick at videotron.ca>