Packaging Python applications for Ubuntu

musicman datakid at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 00:33:03 UTC 2007

Incredibly simply, an egg is very similar to a java .jar file - like a
zip with everything you need in it.
It's a relatively new development in python I think, in an effort to
make things easier to install - since you now only have to do
"$easy_install productname"...but yes, have a quick read of the site I
linked to, that tells you everything you need to know.

As for wrapping an egg in a deb, well this looks like what you want:
http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/easydeb/

and I found that from here:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2005-November/005454.html

which is the end of a very long thread discussing something like what
you want, from what I can tell.

cheers
L.

On Dec 8, 2007 1:20 AM, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Caleb Marcus wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 14:36 +1100, musicman wrote:
> >
> >> you mean apart from eggs?
> >>
> >> I've found they work quite well with easy_install and setuptools
> >>
> >> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs
> >>
> >> well, I've managed to install trac and plumi with both no problems.
> >
> > I have no idea what an egg is :)
>
> I think you need to find out :-)
>
> > I'm talking about making a python application into a standard .deb that
> > installs all the files to the right place, adds a menu item, and Just
> > Works for a standard Ubuntu install.
>
> The best method would probably be to create an egg and wrap it in a .deb.
> --
> derek

 If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?
Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)