How to update gutsy with GIMP from hardy?

Kent Paul Dolan xanthian at well.com
Sat Dec 8 00:03:52 UTC 2007

I'm still a bit bemused by the update mechanism for
Ubuntu. I can do the default stuff pretty easily,
but exceptional cases are still a mystery.

Right now, using "apt-get dist-upgrade", or "apt-get
install gimp", gutsy is updating to superseded
version GIMP 2.4.0 RC 3, and telling me that said
superseded version is "current".

Well, no it isn't, by some months now.

Hardy, which isn't to be released for another more
than four months, has what the GIMP developers think
is the current GIMP, version 2.4.2, listed in its
packages web page.

Is there a way to tell gutsy to upgrade to the hardy
release? Is it safe to do so?

Is there a FAQ page I should be reading that
explains how to keep up to date with individual
package development when gutsy isn't upgrading to
the "most current" releases "in real time"?

Or, am I stuck with waiting until April 2008 to use
the latest greatest GIMP release?

xanthian.