am I wasting my time trying to get vmware usb working

Tom Bamford tom at entrepreneuria.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 14:59:35 UTC 2007

Ben Edwards wrote:
> Am trying to get usb working under vmware windows guest with mio 550
> pocket pc and garman edge 205 cyceling gps.  Have been reading up on
> it amd am coming to the conclusion that usb is close to useless under
> vmware.  Am I correct?
>
> Regards,
> Ben

Patching through USB devices with vmware is hit and miss. You have to
add a virtual usb host to your vmx configuration, for example

usb.present = "TRUE"
usb.autoConnect.device0 = ""
usb.generic.autoconnect = "TRUE"

... or in VMware server/workstation just add a USB controller to your VM
and tick the box to connect devices automatically.

When VMware detects a usb device that it can connect to your VM, it will
show up under the Removable Devices submenu on the VM menu, or on the
toolbar in Vmware player. You'll probably have to select devices
manually and sometimes I've had to plug and unplug devices a few times
before it will show up. I haven't tried a PDA or GPS receiver yet but
I've had success with flash drives, a bluetooth receiver and a usb modem.

Hope this helps,
Tom