Gutsy speed

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 14:59:09 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton a écrit :
> Loïc Martin wrote:
>
>> Bruce Marshall a écrit :

>>> Can I ask why you are booting so much that it would really make a
>>> difference?
>>>
>> Gutsy broke hibernate/suspend both on my laptop and my desktop, and I
>> don't like to leave them on all day for the same reasons I wouldn't like
>> driving a SUV.
>>
>> With an average of 15 boots a days, 1' saved off a 1'50 boot would mean
>> 15 mn of free time everyday (you can do a lot in 15 mn).
>
> I'm not sure you can do much in that 15 minutes that you couldn't have done
> waiting for it to boot, but I'd really want to fix the hibernate problem
> first.  I can't imagine gutsy could have broken it so badly that it can't
> be made to work (and if it _did_, I'd be back to Feisty in a moment).

How is a normal user supposed to make it work? If it work with other
distros, shouldn't it work here by default too?

>> And when
>> somebody is on the phone and I need to start the computer to give them
>> an answer, I'm not so happy having to explain the 1'50 boot + 15sec to
>> desktop + 5 sec Nautilus boot + 10 sec OOfice startup are due to me
>> using Ubuntu and not a decent distro or Windows XP.
>
> A fair argument, except that Vista takes much longer to boot than Ubuntu,
> for me, on the same machine (and I don't even have any services installed
> on Windows) and on my older machine, XP takes a _little_ longer than
> Ubuntu.

Dunno why you talk about Vista. Most people are still with XP, and will
compare with what they know. And it doesn't change the fact that XP is
more that 1' faster (and when I say 43 sec, it means I can click on
Firefox and having start in the next 2 sec - so 45 sec from booy; not to
talk about the Explorer which, although ugly, is far faster than dog
slow Nautilus).

And other Linux distros do far better, speed-wise. I'm still on Ubuntu
because I like the project, but it doesn't mean I'm happy it fares so
bad speed-wise, unless you get a C2D.