mount

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Dec 7 14:30:10 UTC 2007

debian wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 21:35 -0500, Erik Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi, I'm having an issue with mounting from the command line.
>>
>> I'm running ubuntu 6.10 on my PPC iBook G4, and I have it loaded onto a
>> partition on my built-in hard drive.  I'd like to mount my Mac OS X
>> partition from ubuntu so that I can transfer data between them, so I go
>> into command line, go to the mnt directory that I set up using mkdir,
>> and execute sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/hda3
>>
>> voila, the partition shows up in mnt!  Unfortunately, though I can read,
>> I cannot write, and this is a problem.  I tried using -o rw, but that
>> doesn't work.
>
> i know it is kinda strange...the same thing happens with my drives,

I doubt it.

> however my drives are all ext3, so what i do is i mount with sudo, then
> open them using nautilus (in sudo). i can then read and write
>
> i tried also changing the permissions with absolutely no prevail

Could you both just post the relevant /etc/fstab entries, please?  It's
impossible to diagnose the problems if you don't tell us what you're
actually doing.  In your case, I'm sure it's either the fstab entry or the
mountpoint, but in Erik's I'm not at all sure the hfsplus filesystem is
writable (never having tried it).
--
derek