Music question

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Dec 6 20:19:23 UTC 2007

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:16 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> If they're illegal copies of entire CDs
>
> Don't spread the MPAA propaganda.

Don't accuse me of such disgusting habits...

> Copying commercial CDs is not illegal
> everywhere. For example, in Germany you are entitled to a number of
> copies under the title "Privatkopie" (private copy),

Same here in Canada, but the key is "private" copy.  If somebody copies a
copyrighted work and gives it to somebody else, that's no longer private.

> as long as you are
> not working around encryption (which you aren't if it's an Audio CD with
> the proper logo). The common interpretation is that you can also give
> them to family and friends (but not p2p).

That may be "common", but I'd be really, really, surprised if you could find
a German lawyer to make that interpretation - it makes a mockery of the
entire Bern Convention.

In any case, (a) I said "if they're illegal" - it's up to the person using
them to decide if they agree that they are; and (b) I was the one who
suggested to Wade that it didn't look as if the OP was actually talking
about illegal copies.
--
derek