Restart Wireless Without Rebooting

Kenneth Loafman kenneth at loafman.com
Wed Dec 5 14:23:30 UTC 2007

Periodically my wireless connection dies and nothing seems to restart it
except the brain-dead Windows way of rebooting the whole system.  In a
UNIX system, you should be able to restart anything except the kernel
without a reboot.  I can't seem to figure out how.

Running 64-bit Ubuntu Feisty on a Dell 1501, ndiswrapper around bcmwl5
driver, Network Manager, the rest pretty normal.  All up to date.

I have tried restarting the connection through Network Manager.  No go.

I have tried /etc/init.d/networking restart.  No go, of course.

I have used ndiswrapper to remove and reinstall the driver.  No go.

I have no hair to pull, or dead chicken to wave over my head while
standing on one leg, so what magic incantation do I need to use?

...Thanks,
...Ken