Virtualization software

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 3 10:19:48 UTC 2007

On Sunday 02 December 2007 11:44:09 pm Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:24 -0600, James Macele Jones wrote:
> > VirtualBox works fine for me. It's easy to configure and it's free.
> >
> > The only issue I have had with VirtualBox is that NAT doesn't work at
> > all. In order to get packets to the guest OS I was forced to use a
> > bridge and virtual interfaces.
> >
> > But that was simple enough and the instructions can be found in the
> > manual on the VirtualBox website.
> >
> > -Macele
>
> I use VirtualBox as well. However, I had no problem with NAT...

I too run VB when at work to access certain apps.  No problem w/ NAT.
Corporate IT hasn't noticed anything unusual.

Unlike VMWare, you don't have to rebuild kernel modules everytime you upgrade
the host kernel.  Also, VB development seems to respond faster to distro
upgrades.  VB seems to boot XP a bit faster.  VB also has "seamless" mode,
whereby the Windows desktop is suppressed and any running apps appear
directly on the linux desktop.

I've had good experiences w/ community support (both mailing lists and fora,
for both VMWare and VB.  However, the VM community FWIW.

Although not free, Crossover has come a long way.  Check out the evaluation
version.  Whereas I used to run a virtual machine to get full MS Office
functionality and CX only when booting XP wasn't desirable, I now find that
CX suits most of my MSO needs and I only boot XP/VB for certain specialized
apps.

Paul