Newbie video problems

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 06:19:40 UTC 2007

Hal Davis wrote:
> Got the graphical mode up and running in low-res, and nothing I change
> in the video settings "sticks". I pick something, test it, select it,
> and then go back into the settings and it's back on generic.
>
> And while I can load Firefox, it doesn't see the internet anymore, so
> I don't see how I can execute the command you gave me, especially
> since I haven't a clue how to do internet access from a command line.
>
> I guess I need to find a local geek squad equivalent who is versed in
> Ubuntu, and pay him/her to fix my system while I watch and learn. I'm
> in Plano, Texas. Anybody have thoughts?
>
> Hal Davis

How are you changing the video settings? Using dpkg-reconfigure or using
a graphical tool from the desktop?

Have you tried choosing 'nv' as your graphics driver yet (in
dpkg-reconfigure) instead of vesa? Vesa is a special mode which all
graphics cards support to allow cross-compatibility, but doesn't support
higher resolutions than 800x600 I think. So to get the best from your
laptop you're going to have to try to find the right driver. You can get
the monitor settings set right (on my laptop at least) by telling
dpkg-reconfigure to autodetect the monitor, and then keeping the options
following that the same.

andy.