Newbie video problems

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 22:46:18 UTC 2007

On Monday 03 December 2007 07:10:44 Hal Davis wrote:
> I grew up in DOS and Windows, but just getting started in Linux.
> Installed Ubuntu 7.10, and had it set up a partition on my Windows laptop.
>
> First, I don't know how to interrupt the boot process to tell it to load
> Windows instead of Unix.
>
> Second, the Linux install didn't work until it reloaded using Video Safe
> Mode (or something like that). Then, noticed that the bottom of my
> screen wasn't being displayed, so if I moved the toolbar to the bottom,
> I couldn't see it (but I was able to move the mouse down all the way,
> right click, and access properties to move it somewhere else). Then,
> like a genius, I thought I'd change the video selection to solve the
> problem. I guess I was expecting the Windows-like temporary
> installation, that requires me to tell it that it works before it's
> really switched. But now, I can't read ANYTHING on the screen after the
> initial Ubuntu logo.
>
> Tried to figure out how to change the video (went online and looked at
> help), and it gave me some scripts to run. Problem is, I don't know how
> to run the scripts. The only DOS-like prompt I've been able to reach is
> GRUB> and it doesn't like the text I input. I'm guessing that if I knew
> how to get to the correct prompt the scripts would work fine.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get my Linux system out of the ditch?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hal Davis

Hi Hal

Your system should have a menu when you first boot unless you told it to use
the entire drive at which point windows would be gone. Assuming you resized
the partion windows was on via the install you should see a boot menu. Just
use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to navigate and enter to select

As for the rest we need more info. What are the system specs, e.g. graphic
card, etc. Even if we know the laptop in question we might be able to look up
the specs online

Can you get to a terminal via CTRL-ALT-F1
You can think of that as a DOS prompt when you get there. It will ask you to
log in at that prompt first time you enter it

You also mention you can't read anything on the screen anymore. Fonts too
small? Blury,............ You don't give any detail

You mentioned changing video selection so I'm guessing you either changed the
default graphic card or you changed the resolution or refresh rate

James