ASUS F3M hangs when booting after upgrade 7.04 -> 7.10 Solved ??

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 2 19:25:01 UTC 2007

Op wo, 31-10-2007 te 19:14 +0100, schreef Aart Koelewijn:
> Hello Ubuntu experts,
>
> my ASUS F3M laptop worked very well with Ubuntu Fiesty for several
> months. Recently I decided to upgrade to Gutsy. Since the upgrade it
> hangs somewhere during the booting proces with either 2.6.22-14-386 or
> the 2.6.22-14-generic kernel. It will boot ok with the old 2.6.20-16-386
> kernel, but the the resolution of the graphic card will be low. (version
> mismatch between modules)
>
> There are no logfiles of the attempts to start with a 2.6.22 kernel,

It took me a long time, as I could still start with the old kernel I
just restored the old nvidia-glx driver and worked like that, so it was
not very urgent.

But after trying many things I found that the 2.6.22-14 kernel would
start with acpi=off in the grub boot line. Then I replaced the old
nvidia-glx driver with the new one and there was the next problem, a
black screen whatever I tried. But I now could log in with ssh and study
the logfiles. The nvidia-glx driver could not connect to the nvidia
kernel driver. This was solved by putting pci=biosirq in the grub boot
line. Now I have some smaller problems:

1: The pcu (AMD Sempron 3400+) will not switch speed depending on load
anymore

2: I Have no battery-meter anymore

3: I can stop Linux by pushing the shut-off button, but the laptop will
not switch off, for that I have to push the hardware on/off button

I suppose this is all acpi related.

For the time being I can live with that I think, but it would be nice if
someone would no solutions for it.

Greetings,
Aart