Problems with Intel sound & Gutsy

Edgars Šmits ed.smits at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 12:19:12 UTC 2007

I am very frustrated at this point and hope someone can help me. I'm
running Gutsy fully up to date on a Dell Latitude D600 that has an
Intel sound card (8086:24c5 per lspci), sound was working perfectly up
until yesterday at some point (as I recall an update was offered...),
now it's dead, I can hear very faintly over the laptop speakers,
garbled, but nothing of value. After futzing around with the various
sound options (OSS, Alsa etc) I did a google on Gutsy + Intel + sound
and discovered that there is a known bug and a wiki about it
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller), however
trying the Method G suggested hasn't made the problem go away.

1) can anyone point me to a good and understandable FAQ on Linux sound
- what is the difference between Alsa and OSS etc? I have a feeling I
may have screwed something up in trying to fix it.

2) any other Intel sound users have problems after updates yesterday?

Thanks

ED