How do we get out / rid of initramfs ???

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sat Dec 1 23:55:16 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 10:14 -0600, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > Hello
> > Frustrated struggling with installing Ubuntu 7.10 on a friends notebook:
> > How do we get out / rid of this initramfs ???
> >
> > We already tried installing near a dozen time with the 2 desktop
> > versions (32bit & 64bit) !!
> >
> > As newbie/s we have absolutely no idea ;-O
> >
> > Pls help ;-)
>
> It's not something you want to get rid of.  Initramfs contains an
> in-memory temporary file system that houses the utilities used during
> the boot process.  It goes away after boot.
>
> Why would you want to get rid of it?
>
> ...Ken

Hi Ken & Bruce
To your similar question I answer here:

As a Ubuntu newbie I installed 7.10 on my notebook !

My friend got a new notebook with Linpus !!?? ...
... and it was frustrating to see a Linux/Unix prompt ...
... like in very old DOS times ;-((

I suggested to install Ubuntu and ran into this problem now ;-O

Expecting the lightbrown Ubuntu login screen
we are left stuggling with this InitRAMfs prompt and
do not know how to overcome !!!

Cheers, svobi