2 hard disks

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 1 23:23:42 UTC 2007

On 12/01/2007 12:45 AM, norman wrote:
>> Norman, before we get to that part (it is 'sudo install gparted' from a
>> terminal window BTW, then System|Administration|Partition Editor), have
>> you tried the steps that I've already suggested? If so what results did
>> you get?  Please don't do anything with gparted until you let us know
>> what you've done so far.
>
> Thanks for the note of caution. In fact I have decided that the 2 hdd
> idea can be shelved for the time being and that I will give dual booting
> another try. Incidentally, if you know of a guaranteed way to remove the
> MBR I would be for ever grateful.
>
> Norman

Are you sure that you actually want to remove the MBR? If you want you
can just reset the boot flag in gparted - right click on the partition &
select 'manage flags' & untick boot. You can also boot up with an old
Win98 floppy and fdisk /mbr, or use testdisk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Additional refs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=windows&titlesearch=Titles>