VMWare Server - Use Physical WinXP?

Rapael Morcha raphael.morcha at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 18:21:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 01:42:10PM -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> Rapael Morcha wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 07:12:05PM -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

> > It's pretty straight forward.
> > Perhaps you may want to look at [1].
> >
> > [1]
> > http://mazimi.wordpress.com/2007/06/24/virtualization-of-an-existing-physical-partition-of-windows-within-linux/
> >

> 	Thanks. I'll try that this weekend, alog with creating a new VM but
> seleting IDE instead of SCSI...

Apologies if I missed some critical threads but creating a new VM takes 2 minutes at max.
Selecting IDE instead of SCSI takes 10 secs at max.

The page [1] has detailed instruction on using Windows XP from Ubuntu.
In short (assuming you have VMWare server installed properly and executed vmware-config.pl
properly...) -
1) Create a seperate profile in Windows XP
2) Install VMWare SCSI driver for Windows XP
3) Create a new VM from VMWare in Linux (using the physical partitions)
4) Boot Windows XP from VMWare and install VMWare Tools.

Step 2 is critical otherwise you get BSOD from Windows XP failing to
find the SCSI driver.

If you like feel excited, you can always read up [2].

[2] http://www.vmware.com/pdf/server_vm_manual.pdf