USB drive, once it worked, now it doesn't.

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 17:05:51 UTC 2007

On 8/31/07, Chris Knowles <chrisk at trilug.org> wrote:
> And more detail:
>
> Plug the unit into a windows 2000 system, it's detected and usable.
>
> plug the unit into another Ubuntu 7.04 system that can mount other USB
> drives, no magic occurs.
>
> CJK

I've had the same trouble with some FireWire drives that suddenly quit
working in Feisty, but they are still completely usable in Dapper. I
was assuming my trouble had to do with Firewire, but maybe it's due to
using ext3 and ext2 on removable devices ?? Some of the drives have
USB and Firewire ports and (for now!) are still working as USB.

If you have a Dapper live CD, try booting from it and see if the
system then recognizes your drive. If it does, maybe we've uncovered a
subtle Feisty bug.

Be sure to check for bug reports in launchpad... ALSO I recently
discovered these are the steps I should have used for my bug report
and I will be adding them:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingRemovableDevices