Printing #10 Envelopes

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Fri Aug 31 08:32:44 UTC 2007

Hi Wally.

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 23:13 -0700, Wally wrote:
> Using Open Office and an Epson Stylus Photo R340 printer, I am unable to
> print #10 Business Envelopes. CUPS is the printer driver, as installed
> in Ubuntu.
>
> Pages and photos print just fine. But I need to rotate the document 90
> degrees to print. Or tell the printer that there is an envelope in it.
>
> A #10 envelope is too long to fit thru the printer length wise, so you
> must insert it sideways. But no matter what I do in the software,
> switching between landscape or portrait, it will only print across as if
> a piece of paper was in the printer. And if set to portrait, just cuts
> off the end of the address when printing on paper.

I print DL size envelopes (206mm x 97mm) using OpenOffice Writer. I
don't know the dimensions of a "#10 business envelope", but I print my
envelopes through a standard A4 laser printer.

I recall having a lot of the same problems as you report; I did have to
muck about a bit. I think what I did was set the paper size *in the
document* to those dimensions, then landscaped it. The envelopes are
then fed through the manual feed slot *lengthwise*.

Anyway, I can send you a sample file if you wish. Let me know in a
personal email if you do wish.

Rest assured it is possible to print sideways, as long as the printable
area can be moved through your printer :-)

Regards, K.