[users]Re: Linux Vs Windows in security (II)

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Aug 29 16:53:31 UTC 2007

Chris wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:17:00 +0100
> "(``-_-´´) -- Fernando" <ubuntu at bugabundo.net> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday 29 August 2007 13:10:36 Chris wrote:

>>> Fernando missread your question - The real answer is ...
>>>
>>> "if i  have remote access  by ssh to a linux machine,
>>> can i change the root pass if i dont know it?"
>>>
>>> NO - You can't change the root password if you don't know the root
>>> password. You CAN however, IF you DO.
>
> Let's look at this again - the Op asked if he can change the root
> password he he does not know it.
>
> That being said - ha can't run sudo without knowing the root password.
> Unless of couse, the admin of the remote box setup sudo to be used
> without a password.
>
> ARE WE CLEAR ON THAT?
>
> How can a user use sudo if he does not know the password (assuming the
> root password is needed to use sudo).

No, we are not clear at all.. Sudo doesn't need the root password.  In a
default Ubuntu intallation, Sudo needs the *user* password which can,
and should, be distinct from the root password (if indeed there even
*is* a root password, as in a default Ubuntu install, Root is disabled
and there is no password to begin with.)

If you've never used any Linux besides Ubuntu., I could see why you
might get this confused, as Ubuntu asks you only for 1 password, which,
with the help of Sudo, is used both to log in as a user and perform
administrative tasks.  In the wider world of Unix, however, this is not
the same as the root password.