VMWare Server - Use Physical WinXP?

Michael James ubuntu at james.st
Wed Aug 29 04:58:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:10:20 am Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> 	My laptop has WinXP installed on sda1, and Ubuntu on sda2. Has anyone
> with a similar setup used the Wizard in VMWare Server to use the WinXP
> install as a guest to Ubuntu? To be precise, if I try this, I'm
> wondering if the WinXP install will get hosed....

Boot into the native windows install and go to the hardware wizard.
Create a  "vmware"  profile as well as the default one.
You could all the existing profile  "native"  or  "hardware".

Don't bother to change anything in either profile at this stage.

Re-boot into Ubunto and fire up VMware.
Give the virtual machine access to the raw Windows partition.
Boot Windows within VMware and choose the  "VMware"  profile.
Windows will say something to the effect of,
 "Wow things have changed, do you want me to adjust?"
Saying yes will only change the  "VMware"  hardware profile,
 leaving the  "Native"  one for real boots.  (if you ever do that again...)

QUESTION 1:  If anyone knows how to make Windows
 choose the right profile automatically please let us know.

QUESTION 2:  If anyone knows how to make a Linux install
 re-run hardware detection and configure itself
 to a different hardware environment, please let us know?
Imagine taking a system dist to a new machine...

--
Konqueror has gotten so clever for its own boots
  that it has forgotten what a web browser is for.