How to avoid the Apple tax?

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 12:09:34 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 21:38:33 Brad Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 12:09 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > The hardware, in the first place, doesn't lock you into the software.  If
> > Apple sold a computer for which you could only get an OS for an extra
> > charge, they'd be vilified - but because they sell fully functional
> > hardware, you vilify them anyway.  Nice logic.
>
> The OS cost is built into the cost of the computer (just like Dell,
> hense the "Apple Tax" reference). They are not just including a hardware
> driver, they are pre-loading software (OS & bundled applications) that
> you can't avoid. Software that costs you money, obviously. Your point
> may have been valid if ONLY Apple software ran on Apple hardware but
> this isn't the case.
>
> > Ludicrous.  Apple is not in the OS market.  They provide an OS for their
> > hardware.
>
> Apple is *very much* in the OS market. Their Mac vs PC commercials, are
> not touting the advantages of their unique hardware. You often don't
> even see the hardware. They are advertising the advantages of the OS &
> its bundled applications (iPhoto, iMovie, iMaDumby). The OS has always
> defined the Apple user-experience.
>
> > --
> > derek
>
> Look, Apple can do what they wish with their products. We as consumers
> can choose you purchase them or not. They don't owe us anything. The
> point of this thread, where the discussion of restrictiveness began, was
> just applying the same logic to Apple/OSX that has been applied over and
> over again to Microsoft/Windows. And in doing so, realizing their
> restrictive nature. A nature which isn't generally appreciated in the
> Open Source world ... even if that restriction comes in a very cool
> looking box.
>
> Brad

Hi

Coming to an unavoidadable conclusion. To avoid the tax, avoid dealing with
them (direct). Buy second hand and u avoid said tax. Either that or find
someone who gives the new hardware without the OS which is likely the harder
option. Ask yourself A simple Q. Do u actually need to get the newest
hardware, or do u simply need something functional re your specific needs? If
the ll8r is true, then u don't need brand newand can in fact get away with
something a lil behind the newest release.

Just something to ponder
James