Reconfigure to boot from extended partition?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Aug 27 18:29:45 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton wrote:

> All that said (and correctly), I think you might actually have been asking
> about the "bootable" flag on the partition table, and afaik it's completely
> irrelevant to Linux - only Windows cares about that flag.

Not always.

you can install either grub or lilo on the superblock of a partition,
(and a corresponding Windows Style mbr to boot from 'bootable' or
'active' parition).

Examples where this *might* be useful:

On a system where you expect to install/re-install windows often.. You
can repair your grub after a Windows install with any fdisk type
utility, rather than the usual grub install process.

If, for whatever reason of your own, you want multiple grub boot
menus/versions on one disk.  you can switch between the different grub
environments by chancing the active partition.

But I digress.  By default, grub is installed in the MBR of the hard
drive, in which case, the partition boot flag has no bearing, as you say.