Local Network Problem

Don Henson wepin-list at wepin.com
Mon Aug 27 16:38:15 UTC 2007

To make a long background story short...

In restoring from a major system crash, I ended up with a
server/workstation, a workstation, and a laptop (wifi) that should be
talking to each other over Ethernet. The laptop will not respond to a
ping from anybody and the other two will respond to each other's pings
if I use the domain address. They will not respond if I ping the
corresponding IP address. This seems backwards to me but that's the way
it is. At one point, I had all three machines talking but after
rebooting all three, the problem returned. I've been working on this for
a couple of days and now I find myself thoroughly confused. I have no
idea which files and logs might be useful. If you are interested in
helping, let me know what data you need and I'll post it forthwith. I'd
really appreciate a little help on this one.

Don Henson