GNU/Linux, FLOSS, and Ubuntu

Jimmy Wu jimmywu013+ubuntu-user-list at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 18:12:00 UTC 2007

Hello list,

I've been spending a little bit of time on gnu.org (interesting reading),
and it claims that most of the popular Linux distros come packaged with
"non-free" software.  The list of completely free GNU/Linux distros is
woefully short, and does not include Ubuntu.  That puzzled me, because I
thought the whole Ubuntu philosophy was big on free software.

Could someone please explain the relationship between Ubuntu and GNU,
and does anyone know what parts of the default Ubuntu installation, if any,
are restricted/non-free/proprietary?

Thanks,

Jimmy