dpkg

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Sat Aug 25 14:11:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 10:59 -0700, hong zhang wrote:
> List,
>
> I just installed utunbu on my laptop and want to use
> dpkg.
>
> I want o install *.deb file into /root/Desktop instead
> default path.
>
> dpkg -i *.deb target path.
>
> How to setup target path?

While dpkg does support this nominally, it's almost certainly not what
you want to do.

Based on what I've seen elsewhere in the thread, it looks like you're
setting up a separate place to try out etch binaries within an Ubuntu
install.

The preferred ways of doing this are debootstrap/dchroot to set up a
shadow install of Ubuntu or Debian within an existing install:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot

(P.S., I have no idea why the page suggests using wget && dpkg -i to get
debootstrap installed, anyone else know?)

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding