Access Concentrator Did Not Respond

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 23 13:02:49 UTC 2007

Am Do, 23. August 2007 14:01:44 schrieb Arnold Pietersen:
> I am trying to setup PPPoE.  I get the message: Access Concentrator did
> not respond.  There is also a "Timeout waiting for PADO packets" message.
>
> How do I solve this?
[...]

You may trace the connection / dial-in from a terminal.
First open a terminal and type:
 sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

So you will see all messages during a connect.

Then open another terminal and type:
 sudo pon dsl-provider

Now you can see the communication between your provider and the pppoe process
running on your machine.

Please post the output in your next answer.

Background:
A message "Timeout waiting for PADO packets" is often the result of a
missing "return-ping" from your ISPs hardware during a connection.
The Problem is windows machines don't expect such a "return-ping" and so the
connection works for them. But Linux machines wait for this return-ping. By
this it often needs to ask your ISP fo a manual port-reset of your line.
This is a common problem here in germany for those who use Telekom Germany as
ISP.

regards,
thomas