Screen Resolution

Don Henson wepin-list at wepin.com
Wed Aug 22 01:40:58 UTC 2007

James Takac wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2007 08:24:25 Don Henson wrote:
>> James Takac wrote:

>>> Hi Don
>>>
>>> I've seen this on my pc's as well. My solution was to go back and
>>> manually add in the resolutions in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
>>>
>>> James
>> Thought of that. Problem is that "1280x1024" is already listed in each
>> subsection. Is there something else that needs to be changed?
>>
>> Don
>
> Hi Don
>
> Maybe a silly Q here, but how old is the hardware? I have a friend that
> experiences this as well. His lcd monitor is some 5 yrs old as is the rest of
> his system and so is using the legacy drivers for his card. I ended up with
> the conclusion that either his hardware doesn't support the higher
> resolutions, or it's a driver issue. I don't recall you mentioning what
> hardware is being used here, i.e. graphics card and monitor
>
> James

The display adapter is an Nvidia "NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]". I don't
really know how old it is but I'd guess about 5 years. The monitor is an
HP "vs19e" and is about 6 months old. I'm pretty sure the hardware can
handle the higher resolution since it was working okay just a couple of
days ago under OpenSuSE. However, I'm beginning to suspect that it's a
driver issue, as in Ubuntu no longer keeps the driver in their database.

Don