Screen Resolution

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 23:19:55 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 08:24:25 Don Henson wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 August 2007 00:41:22 Don Henson wrote:
> >> During installation, I was asked to select the maximum resolution that
> >> X-server would be expected to handle, or words to that effect. I entered
> >> a high resolution of 1280x1024, one that my display can handle and
> >> higher than 1024x768. However, my display resolution remains at
> >> 1024x768. I've checked /etc/X11/xorg.conf and all of my display
> >> subsections include 1280x1024 but that value does not appear in the list
> >> presented by the gui 'Screen Resolution'. 1024x768 is usable but I
> >> prefer the higher resolution. Any suggestions appreciated.
> >>
> >> Don Henson
> >
> > Hi Don
> >
> > I've seen this on my pc's as well. My solution was to go back and
> > manually add in the resolutions in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
> >
> > James
>
> Thought of that. Problem is that "1280x1024" is already listed in each
> subsection. Is there something else that needs to be changed?
>
> Don

Hi Don

Maybe a silly Q here, but how old is the hardware? I have a friend that
experiences this as well. His lcd monitor is some 5 yrs old as is the rest of
his system and so is using the legacy drivers for his card. I ended up with
the conclusion that either his hardware doesn't support the higher
resolutions, or it's a driver issue. I don't recall you mentioning what
hardware is being used here, i.e. graphics card and monitor

James