a program similar to netsend?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 21 16:03:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:53:51 +0000
Dave M <DaveM at Mich.Com> wrote:

> At 09:18 AM 8/17/2007 , [x] ulf wrote:
> >Package: linpopup
> >  This allows a linux system to communicate with a windows computer that
> >  runs Winpopup, sending or receiving message.  It also provides an
> >  alternative way to communicate between Linux computers that run Samba.
> >  Note that LinPopUp is not only a port, as it includes several enhanced
> >  features.
> >
> >Another portable option would be xipmsg:
> >
> >Package: xipmsg
> >  IP Messenger is a pop up style message communication software
> >  for multi platforms. It is based on TCP/IP(UDP).
> >  Xipmsg is the X11 version of IP Messenger. It can communicate
> >  with IP Messengers for Windows/MacOS.
>

> Can either of these be used to communicate between users on a single linux
> box? For example, when I have a script running as root and I want it to
> send a pop-up notice to a user?

Step 1:

sudo apt-get install sux   <-- overrides problems with X authentication,
MIT magic cookies etc.

Step 2:

As root ( say sudo -i  , or whatever)

# sux peter zenity --info --title "This is your Captain speaking..." \
 --text "there is absolutely no cause for alarm"

Substitute user name as appropriate...

Works on the local box. If you want to do this on a box you are ssh-ed
into, you need to know the display number for the victim ;-) , which is
usually :0

ssh foo at blah
sudo -i
root at blah:~ # sux victim zenity --info --title "Message from Beyond" \
--text "The world ends in 5 minutes. Save yourself now. Thank you." \
--display :0

:-)

Peter