lightscribe

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Tue Aug 21 08:33:54 UTC 2007

Joel Bryan Juliano spake thusly:
> On 8/21/07, Bob Cortez <rjcortez at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have you tried this:
>> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/L4?content=47458
>>

> The Lacie LightScribe KDE version looks so much better than in OSX,
> But it sucks, the driver and the software are not open source.

Neither are the "official" drivers and software[1]. Just like NVIDIA and
ATI video drivers it's a necessary evil (which I can easily live with).

[1] http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/linux/index.aspx

LightScribe (HP) EULA:

Attention
USE OF THE SOFTWARE IS SUBJECT TO THE HP SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS SET
FORTH BELOW. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE LICENSE TERMS BY INSTALLING,
COPYING, OR OTHERWISE USING THIS SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, DO NOT
INSTALL, COPY OR USE THE SOFTWARE.

HP SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS

The following terms govern your use of the enclosed Software unless you
have a separate written agreement with HP.

License Grant
HP grants you a license to Use one copy of the Software. "Use" means
storing, loading, installing, executing or displaying the Software. You
may not modify the Software or disable any licensing or control features
of the Software. If the Software is licensed for "concurrent use", you
may not allow more than the maximum number of authorized users to Use
the Software concurrently.

Ownership
The Software is owned and copyrighted by HP or its third party
suppliers. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software
and is not a sale of any rights in the Software. HP's third party
suppliers may protect their rights in the event of any violation of
these License Terms.

Copies and Adaptations
You may only make copies or adaptations of the Software for archival
purposes or when copying or adaptation is an essential step in the
authorized Use of the Software. You must reproduce all copyright notices
in the original Software on all copies or adaptations. You may not copy
the Software onto any bulletin board or similar system.

No Disassembly or Decryption
You may not disassemble or decompile the Software unless HP's prior
written consent is obtained. In some jurisdictions, HP's consent may not
be required for disassembly or decompilation. Upon request, you will
provide HP with reasonably detailed information regarding any
disassembly or decompilation. You may not decrypt the Software unless
decryption is a necessary part of the operation of the Software.

Transfer
Your license will automatically terminate upon any transfer of the
Software. Upon transfer, you must deliver the Software, including any
copies and related documentation, to the transferee. The transferee must
accept these License Terms as a condition to the transfer.

Termination
HP may terminate your license upon notice for failure to comply with any
of these License Terms. Upon termination, you must immediately destroy
the Software, together with all copies, adaptations and merged portions
in any form.

Export Requirements
You may not export or re-export the Software or any copy or adaptation
in violation of any applicable laws or regulations.

U.S. Government Restricted Rights
The Software and documentation have been developed entirely at private
expense and are provided as "Commercial Computer Software" or
"restricted computer software". They are delivered and licensed as
"commercial computer software" as defined in DFARS 252.227-7013 (Oct
1988), DFARS 252.211-7015 (May 1991) or DFARS 252.227-7014 (Jun 1995),
as a "commercial item" as defined in FAR 2.101 (a), or as "Restricted
computer software" as defined in FAR 52.227-19 (Jun 1987) (or any
equivalent agency regulation or contract clause), whichever is
applicable. You have only those rights provided for such Software and
Documentation by the applicable FAR or DFARS clause or the HP standard
software agreement for the product.

HEWLETT-PACKARD 'AS IS' WARRANTY STATEMENT

DISCLAIMER: TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LOCAL LAW, THIS HP SOFTWARE PRODUCT
("SOFTWARE") IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS
OF ANY KIND, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. HP
SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF
MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.Some countries, states and provinces do not allow
exclusion of implied warranties or conditions, so the above exclusion
may not apply to you.You may have other rights that vary from country to
country, state to state, or province to province.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY LOCAL LAW, IN
NO EVENT WILL HP OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE
FOR DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES
(INCLUDING LOST PROFIT, LOST DATA, OR DOWNTIME COSTS), ARISING OUT OF
THE USE, INABILITY TO USE, OR THE RESULTS OF USE OF THE SOFTWARE,
WHETHER BASED IN WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND
WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Your use of the Software is entirely at your own risk. Should the
Software prove defective, you assume the entire cost of all service,
repair or correction.Some countries, states and provinces do not allow
the exclusion or limitation of liability for incidental or consequential
damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you.

NOTE: EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LOCAL LAW, THESE WARRANTY TERMS DO
NOT EXCLUDE, RESTRICT OR MODIFY, AND ARE IN ADDITION TO, THE MANDATORY
STATUTORY RIGHTS APPLICABLE TO THE LICENSE OF THE SOFTWARE TO YOU.

            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
©2007 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved