New laptop with broadcom wireless

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 19 05:34:44 UTC 2007

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:01:17 -0400
stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:

> I'm setting up a new laptop this weekend. I loaded Kubuntu 7.4 and most
> things "just worked". But the wireless chipset is not. I'm getting the
> following dmesg:
>
> bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load
> failed.
>
> A Google search led me to believe that I need to get bcm43xx-fwcutter, and
> retrieve the firmware from the windows driver. I still have the windows
> (Vista) partition on the drive, and Kubuntu has automaticly mounted this
> partition.
>
> Doing an apt-cahce search did not seem to reveal how to get this tool.
> Where can I get it, and how do I use it?

Have a look here:

http://ubuntu.cafuego.net/dists/feisty-cafuego/bcm43xx/

There is also a package called "bcm43xx-fwcutter " in the universe
repository: - it downloads the micro-code/ firmware and installs it.

So, you might not have the universe repository enabled. See

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

and

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu

...   but I suggest that you use the package from cafuego's URL above. It
works well on my iBook G4 with a bcm 4306 card.

 Note that if you install the firmware from cafuego's repo
you will not need fwcutter ( his deb installs the firmware) .

Peter