Two operating systems

alex aradsky at ne.rr.com
Sun Aug 19 00:58:54 UTC 2007

alex wrote:
> William Temple wrote:
>
>> I need to have windows XP on my system but would also like to use UBUNTU.
>>
>> I made a partition for Ubuntu of 29 gig,

> You should  supply more information......so far it seems that all you
> have done is make a partition for Ubuntu but did you actually install it?
>
> To do things properly, you should always have MS Windows installed and
> working before trying to install any Linux system.  If you don't do
> this, booting either Windows or any Linux becomes a complicated operation.
> The boot system is done from a Linux system so it has to be installed
> after Windows which doesn't have the dual booting that Linux has.
>
> 1.  Remove ubuntu if you have already installed it.
> 2.  Install Windows in the usual way.  It should be in partition C: of
> your hard drive.3.
> 3.  Install your Linux system (ubuntu, in this case)
>
> The installation of linux after windows creates a dual boot system in
> Linux so you'll be able to boot either one.  This doesn't happen if
> linux is installed first.
>
> alex

More explanation:

When a Linux systerm is being installed, it looks around to see what
other operating systems are already installed and adds them to the boot
menu that will be created in Linux
Windows doesn't do this while it is being installed. That's why you have
to install Windows first. Windows is unaware that there's another
operating system if Linux is already installed.

Let's say you're installing 3 different Linux systems after you've
installed Windows.

you already have Windows installed, there is no special boot menu.
Then:
when you install Linux #1, Linux #1's boot menu will include
Windows and Linux #1
When you install Linux #2, Linux #2's boot menu will include
Windows, Linux #1, and Linux #2
When you install Linux #3, Linux #3's boot menu will include
Windows, Linux #1, Linux #2 and Linux #3.

The default menu is that of the last Linux that was installed.

It is possible to copy a boot menu from one Linux system to another, if
you prefer the style of one the Linux's system boot

I have 7 different Linux system (three UBUNTUs) installed but use #1's
Ubuntu boot system. This required copying boot data from the other
systems to #1's boot menu.

alex