Software RAID1

Damien Hull dhull at digitaloverload.net
Fri Aug 17 18:16:21 UTC 2007

Here's what I have:

    * Edubuntu 7.04 with updates
    * Intel motherboard
    * Two SATA drives of the same size
    * SWAP is not on RIAD
          o Each drive has a swap partition
    * Software RAID1
          o /
          o /home

GRUB questions:

   1. How do I install GRUB on sdb?
   2. How do I configure grub to boot even if one drive is missing or
      not working?
         1. Example: sda goes bad. Need to boot from sdb

SWAP questions:

    I'm not sure how this works but I read somewhere that swap should
    not be on a RAID partition. Some edititing of /etc/fstab needs to be
    done. Can someone tell me what goes in there?

Here's what should happen:

   1. If a drive fails the system should continue to run
   2. If the system is rebooted the good drive should boot

This is assuming that everything is configured correctly.